Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Notes from Norway House

Hi!

It was a packed few days, but my last week's trip to Norway House, MB, was a success!

Welcome to the North!  Norway House Community Airport


Over last Thursday and Friday, I was able to share a bit of the FortWhyte experience with 50+ students, 60 Educational Assistants, and 25 teachers.

I learned as much as I taught - from traditional Cree plant use to local nicknames, I had to work hard to take in all the information flying around!

Balsam Poplar or Aspen?  Answering an EA's inquiry using some twigs.  On the right:, Balsam Poplar; left, aspen.

Thursday morning, I worked with students and teachers to do an ecological inventory of the boreal forest near their school.  In the afternoon, I went out to the same forest with the EA's, and gave them a taste of what the students had done.  The next day was spent with teachers, working on using the newly-inventoried plots as teaching tools, and looking at the local wetlands, jackpine ridges, and spruce hollows not just as landscape, but as teaching resources.
A student field tests a soil sample.



A big thanks to Laurie-Ann, the biology teacher who set up the professional development day for her colleagues, and to Frontier School Division for inviting FortWhyte Alive to look north!

More pictures tomorrow!

-Barret

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1