Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Expedition to the Frontier

I am having trouble sitting still at my desk this morning.

It might be my wake-up coffee, or, more likely, it is my barely contained excitement and enthusiasm.  I fly to Norway House, MB (part of the Frontier School Division)  this afternoon, to deliver two days of custom interpretive programming!

-Anything.  Anywhere.  Anytime.:  Not actually Perimeter Air's slogan, but it could be.


Tomorrow, 70 students from the Helen Betty Osborne Inniniw Education Centre will be conducting a "Forest Inventory" - counting and classifying the life in the forest around their school.  This is the beginning of an outdoor "lab" space, where students can encounter their local landscape on many levels.  My plan is for it to be a load of fun, too!

I'm spending Friday with teachers from the school, dreaming and planning on how to best use this new resource.  The hope is students have more class time outdoors, engage more with their local landscape, and see a direct application for their science classes.

Two days of increasing outdoor education time.  Two days of helping students learn and grow as citizens of their local environment.  Two days of playing in the bush...with a purpose.

No wonder I can't sit still!

I'll let you know how it goes...until then, have a good one!

-Barret

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1