Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Awesome Program!

Yesterday evening, I had my first outdoor program since the snow fell on FortWhyte Alive.  A combination of vacation and a conference had kept me off the trail since the beginning of November...I was starting to get antsy!

The program: an outdoor skills session with staff and interns at FortWhyte Farms.  For readers who don't know, FortWhyte Farm interns are youth at risk, from inner-city Winnipeg, who come and learn agriculture, business, and life skills while working on the farm.

I ran through a basic outdoor equipment kit, and after an explanation of how fires work, and campfire safety, we went outside.  The group was able to get a beautifully small but warm fire going with only one match.  I was incredibly proud...the youth built a skill, I was able to work alongside my Farm colleagues to deliver a good evening, and seeing it come together left me glowing almost as much as the little campfire!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1