Monday, September 6, 2010

Feathered Follies: Episode One

The best adventures for staff here at FortWhyte Alive always seem to happen right at the end of the work day.

I was due for an adventure.  My days had been ending far too normally of late - I was getting used to shutting down and heading home.

Yesterday, my number came up!

As I drove down Sam Fabro Way to lock our front gate, I passed FortWhyte Farms chicken pasture.  The pastured poultry live in large, moveable pens, called chicken tractors.  However, the poultry were not so much pastured as...everywhere...including outside the knee-high electric fence in place to keep out animals like weasels.

I pulled my vehicle over, and quickly took stock of the situation.

(One could even say I took "chicken stock" of the situation, if one was fond of puns..  Not being that person, I won't...but one could say it if one was so inclined.)


White meat birds mingled with golden laying hens.  A rooster was chasing hens, panicking them, and often as not causing the hens to take a short-hop flight, and land outside of their safety fence.

Stepping out of my vehicle and hopping the ditch, I realized that though I'm not a worker on the farm, this was my problem.  Everyone else was home for the day - judging by the food and water supply, the farm had set the chickens up to be self-sufficient for the long weekend.  I had to at least find some way of getting the chickens back inside their safety fence for the night.  After all, what if a mink, skunk or a...



WEASEL!!!*


There it was!  Fifteen yards from where I'd crossed the ditch, a long-tailed weasel popped up!  It crawled to the edge of the safety fence, and stood on it's hing legs to get a better view of its prospective dinner.

I ran towards the weasel.  It dropped to all fours, and slithered back into the well-vegetated ditch.  The instant I turned my back, it poked its head out of cover, scanning for an errant chicken close enough to catch.  I yelled, it hid.  We played this game for a few minutes. More and more chickens hopped the fence into the danger zone.

I had a multi-tool.  I had a first-aid kit; I wasn't sure how it might help, but there it was, on my belt.  I had tried calling farm staff as soon as I saw what was going on, and received no answer, so my phone was not very much help.  I had my trusty FortWhyte Alive ball cap.

I had escaped chickens.  I had a hungry weasel watching the escaped chickens.

It's been said that heroes are not born, they're made.  I tend to think they're not made, they're called.

An agricultural adventure was calling.  Collect.  I accepted the charges, and waded into the clucking, feather-flying, dropping-slicked whirlwind.  Where was this going to end up?  The only thing I knew for sure:  I was not going to lose a chicken to the weasel.

Does Barret slip on chicken poop?  Does the hungry weasel have a chicken dinner?  Is the first aid kit actually useful?
 
Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of Feathered Follies.

* This weasel image is courtesy of the US National Park Service, and is in the public domain.  The author acknowledges that though this is a fine-lookin' weasel, it is not the actual weasel from the story.  This image was used without the weasel's permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1