Friday, March 5, 2010

FortWhyte's Cross-Country Ski Trails - winter wonderful!

I like to think I have a good handle on what goes on around FortWhyte Alive.  These 640 acres are where I spend a good chunk of my waking hours, and I've done so for the better part of three years.

Though each day brings something new and exciting (640 acres of urban wilderness can do no other), I do not start each day expecting something wonderful and awe-inspiring.  Perhaps the setting we enjoy here has somewhat affected me=y sense of aesthetics...surrounded by beauty, one's standards for beautiful are raised.  A new bird sighting, a spring gift of morel mushrooms, or a baby bison - these are all special and unique, but not world-shaking experiences.

Last Thursday, my world shook. 

I went skiing for the first time on our new trails.

FortWhyte has developed a series of trails on the northeast part of the site for cross-country skiing.  The trails start near the sod house, and go north.

A quick, straight run past Mount Maple Leaf (one of our two hills) leads into a twisting passage navigating a willow swamp.  The willows grow up around the trail, sheltering skiiers from the wind.  With late-winter sunshine, and the embrace of the willows, this section of trail feels like a hug from Nature.

The hug ends with a straight-away run into the forest on the north part of the property.  Twice, I thought I saw great grey owls - twice, I laughed at myself as I correctly identified last summer's wasp nests!

A turn left, and I was on the "red loop" of the trail.  Brilliant white aspen trunks blend in with the white snow, creating a zebra-like streaked field of vision.  The aspen   A quick corner, and the view changes: the angle of the sun now illustrates every little track and trace left by animals in the snow around the trail.  I stop for a drink of water, and to speculate on the interactions between weasel and vole tracks.

A few minutes later, on the "green loop", I am skiing underneath old oak trees.  If the willow swamp was a hug from an affectionate Nature, these austere oak overhead feel like a firm handshake from the forest.  Welcoming, yes; respectable, of course - but also, like a good, firm handshake, a sign of strength, and fair dealings.  Look after nature, and it will look after you - and we'll shake on it!

On my return south towards the sod house (and the end of my lunchtime ski), I disturb a jackrabbit.  It takes off at high speed.  I am humbled - I had been exceptionally happy with how quickly I had been skiing - but the rabbit puts my time to shame.

Reminded by the rabbit I am not the fastest in the forest, I pick up my pace.  The straight-away allows for skate-skiing, and I switch to the faster technique.

I arrive back at the sod-house.  I pop my skis off, and head back to work.

I went for a ski looking for a work-out.

I found my sense of wonder and awe.

I still have time for a sandwich (it is my lunch break, after all) - but it is only my stomach that is hungry.  My mind and soul have been fed already.

There's skiing this weekend at FortWhyte Alive.  Intro workshops ($5) will help you explore the sport.  Families, there are children's lessons and adult lessons side-by-side...the perfect intro for everyone!  Want to try skiing, but do not have a pair of skis?  We've got rental skis.

Physical activity in an outdoor setting?  The ski trails are perfect for that.

Looking to re-discover the child-like sense of excitement around every corner?  I cannot promise you will, but I would be very surprised if you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1