Monday, February 1, 2010

It's in my nature - to say thanks!

Hello, everyone!

An article profiling some of my work at FortWhyte Alive, and some of my side interests, ran in the Winnipeg Free Press this past Saturday.  A series of web videos accompany the article; if you've been on a tour of FortWhyte with me, you'll likely see something familiar in them, and if you've never been, I encourage you to watch them, and let me show you around!

The title is, "It's in His Nature", and the jist is my love of the outdoors and our Manitoba culture is reflected in my work and personal life.  Which, I hope, is true.  I try.

The article also got me thinking about the people who've helped ensure outdoor life, an appreciation for this province and its peoples, and the willingness to learn and share new ideas and facts are part of my nature.  So, I'd like to take a time-out from my usual blog fair of coyote tracks, owls, and wild-fungus-foraging to say some thank-yous.

First, a big thanks to Alison Mayes of the Free Press...for thinking up the story idea, and for doing a great job turning a series of random Barret-facts into a readable piece.

Another big thanks is due to Ruth and the folks in the photo department of the Free Press.  The videos are great...I never get to see myself on a program, so I appreciated the chance to say, "gee, that's what I look like at work!", and the opportunity you've given me to share what I do with friends and family far away.

The article also mentions some of the people who helped shape my nature into what it is today.  My parents and Grandparents played a big role in making me into the "Nature-nut" I am today - and taught me a lot of other good things along the way.  My extended family have always encouraged my outdoor pursuits - a big thanks to my family, those close, and farther away.

The only reason I get to have any sort of adventure in my everyday work is the great team I work with.  My colleagues on the Education Team here at FortWhyte - current and past - I've been so lucky to work with you...I mean it.  Ed Team forever!  Another big thanks is due to all the other staff at FortWhyte Alive... administration, development, site crews, my camp colleagues - we're a jigsaw puzzle, and aren't complete without all the pieces.  Also, without the dedicated efforts of a huge volunteer base, FortWhyte Alive would be very much alive at all.  Your time, talents, and teaching is something I value deeply.  Thank-you.

To those who taught me at Pinawa Secondary or U of W...thanks!

The Free Press article references my Scouting experience.  My Scout leaders - from Beavers on through those at the Manitoba office, and everyone in between...thank-you.  Some of my proudest moments have come through Scouts Canada - and my experience in the program has given me skills and abilities to create more proud moments.

To the people who I've worked with at summer camps, or worked with me when I was a camper (LV and Amisk - you rock!!!), through youth work, and to the RP detachment at Kildonan...wouldn't be doing what I do if I hadn't learned something from you along the way.

To my friends - you encourage me, you laugh with me, you humour me when Interpreter Barret decides to show up at inopportune times, you challenge me and support me...and I thank-you for it all.

Finally - blog readers, a great big thank-you.  Knowing people read the posts help me keep them coming!

I've left no one off the list by intent...if I missed someone, it's an oversight.

Stay tuned.  Tomorrow, I've got owl news, fun with weather maps, another teaser on our new museum resident, and much more!

-Barret

1 comment:

  1. How about sharing that recipe for bush tea with some of our readers at www.SavourWinnipeg.com

    ReplyDelete

 
UA-11201753-1