Friday, November 27, 2009

Forage Day!!!

Hello, Readers!

Today, I will be going for a walk in the woods, and foraging for my lunch.  It's Manitoba, in November.  Even with our warm fall, there is not a whole lot growing anymore...it's going to be a challenge!

I can hear the question forming in your heads..."WHY!?!?!?!  Why not enjoy something nice from the cafe?  Why not bring lunch from home?"

Today is "Buy Nothing Day", an annual protest against the rampant consumerism of the developed world.  The observance, founded by the folks at Adbusters Magazine in the 1980's, encourages people to take a day, and opt out of our consumer society by attempting to do exactly what the name implies, and buy nothing.

For me, Buy Nothing Day is an annual reminder of how our consumer society touches everything we do.  If you are reading my blog, you've bought power to run a computer, for example.  Also, I find it somewhat ironic that Buy Nothing Day was founded and is promoted by a magazine...granted, a magazine that stands against advertising and wanton consumerism, but still a somewhat commercial concern.

I'm not writing today to start a debate about Buy Nothing Day.  Again, the fact that I'm writing means I've already "bought in" and purchased power (I realize that hardcore Buy Nothing observers could point out that this is not a conscious act of consumerism, and so does not technically violate the spirit of Buy Nothing Day).  I'm a big believer in honouring an observance in a way that is personally meaningful - hence, Foraging For Lunch Day.

So, I will be foraging - I cannot get much more into the "Buy Nothing Day" spirit than by channeling
our collective hunter-gatherer past..  I will post later to let everyone out in Blogland know how my foraging excursion goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1