Monday, October 26, 2009

Instant Karma - Blazing Your Trail

It's sometimes hard to judge whether an interpretive program has any impact on the intended audience.  In fact, as interpreters, we're trained to deal with the concept of really not knowing if our programs, our work, has any impact whatsoever.

Our newest school program at FortWhyte, "Blazing Your Trail- an Introduction to Land Navigation", is the exception.


I realized why this afternoon. My very-cautious group of Grade Seven students tentatively, and with excessive coaching, started to twist and turn their orienteering map as they made their way across FortWhyte.

As the group gained comfort with the map, and the woods, caution turned to enthusiasm.  Tentative steps turned to running, and I found myself chasing a high-energy group rather than coaching from the front.

I had seen my group learn!  In the space of fifty metres, I had seen my group gain comfort, confidence, and competency with a new skill.  Instant gratification...instant feedback...the program (and the I, as the interpreter) had made a difference!  The volunteer interpreters working on this program have similar stories.

There was no question, hesitation, or uncertainty about impact today - each student had learned at least a little bit.  We gave information, it was accepted, processed, and acted upon.  We saw it happen, right in front of us

I LOVE THIS PROGRAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
UA-11201753-1